Are you going to buy a domain name? Excited to start your website?
You may have tons of questions about it. Like
Which domain name should be perfect? How to choose a relevant domain for the site?
Before answering these questions let’s start with the basic one
What is a domain name and its type?
Because like they say “gather knowledge before beginning”
what is domain?
The domain name is a “web address” which user use it to search on search engine and find your website. It gives your site a unique identity in the world of online.
A domain name is crucial to set up your new identity. It is like the address to the people to reach out to you. But in the online world.
Choosing a unique and good domain name is as important as creating good content to rank your site. Interestingly, you can get the proportion of audiences just by having an amazing domain name. Because people tend to like stylish and unique things especially youth.
Things to remember before buying a domain name.
There are many factors to keep in mind. But let me set you up with some common one.
- UNIQUE DOMAIN NAME – As I said you should select a catchy domain name that suits your website and business of course. People can find your site interesting just by seeing your domain name even without accessing it.
- RELEVANT TO YOUR SITE – Apparently the name should be indicated to your business. It depends on what kind of website you are creating. For example, if you are creating a blogging site you can either take domain name on depending on your content or on your name. However, the site to promote business or products should have a name related to business.
- DOMAIN EXTENSIONS – It means while choosing a domain name always consider the type extensions of the domain such as .com, .org, etc. For example, if your site is related to the organisation then choose “.org” otherwise you can choose “.com” which works globally.
- SHOULD NOT BE SIMILAR WITH EXISTED BRANDS – You will not be able to create your own identity if your domain name confuses your audiences with another similar brand name. You could also get sued because of having a similar name to another brand.
- EASY AND SIMPLE – It should be easy, simple and short. So, your viewers can pronounce it easily.
TYPE OF DOMAIN NAMES
Now where that brings us. To the types of domain names.
TOP LEVEL DOMAIN (TLD):- it denotes the last part of the domain name. Also called suffix. Here is the list of some most common TLD extensions.
- .COM– it is the most commonly used name. it works globally for any commercial business. My recommendations, try to get this extension after your domain name. Otherwise, you can select others also.
- .GOV- use for government agencies.
- .ORG- for organizations (nonprofit).
- .EDU- educational institutes.
- .MIL- military.
- .NET- network organizations.
TLDs are categorized into further to categories.
Generic top-level domain (gTLDs) and Country code top-level domain (ccTLDs).
- Generic top-level domain (gTLDs) – it is used to identify the class name related to (.com, .org, .edu etc) extensions.
- Country-code top-level domain (ccTLDs) – it is taken in use to locate country, territories and geographical location. It is a two-letter extension such as (.uk, .aus etc).
Another type of domain extension called “nTLDs” (new top-level domain) directs you towards brand firms and services. They are customized and relevant.
some examples are-, “.app”, “.voyage” “.cool”, “.ninja”, etc
FROM WHERE CAN YOU BUY DOMAIN NAME?
There are many domains hosting the site on the internet which can host a domain. you need to pay for your domain. It will cost you according to your plans like 1 year or 2-year plan.
Suppose if you take a 1-year plan, you need to pay after year to continue. If you don’t your domain will become available to others. Anyone can claim it.
So, this is the answer to your question what is a domain name and its type?
CONCLUSION- remember it is important to select a relevant and unique domain name for the betterment of your site.
check out our other posts.http://www.singhvicky.com/introduction-to-digital-marketing-and-its-types/